Sunday, August 20, 2017

Playing with Monochrome Conversion - Silver Efex Pro and Infrared

I have been experimenting to see which is the best way to get a monochrome from my infrared images. Image 1 is my choice for this scene. This is a Silver Efex conversion done on the original raw file (Image 2)before applying my custom profile (image 3). If I use the monochrome conversion in Lightroom and adjust the colour sliders, then the conversion from the image with profile applied (Image 4) is the more satisfactory but it isn't possible to get the separation of subjects and background that you can achieve with SEP control points (Taken in Clare Gardens Cambridge)





3 comments:

Ian Tulloch said...

Hi Ann,
Do you have any tips on setting white balance for IR shots? I usually adopt the simple approach of using some green foliage as a treat image to set a custom white balance. In most instances this seems to give reasonably good results but I'm sure there must be a better way to do it.
Thanks,
Ian Tulloch

Ann Miles said...

I presume you mean for viewing the image in the back - I tend to use something white or neutral grey to set my white point which gives a blue imagein the back of the camera. If you use jpegs then obviously important to get this right for final images but, if like me, you use RAW then you need to make a custom profile.
Instructions at http://www.pin-sharp.co.uk/dn/dn_30.pdf

Ian Tulloch said...

Many thanks, Ann. I shoot in RAW so will have a go with your suggested approach, including SEP to make final adjustments.
Ian

Ann Miles Photography - My Favourite Images of the Past10 years or so